Duty of Care
DUTY OF CARE – PROSECTRA ONLINE TRAINING
‘Negligence’ is an omission to do something, which a reasonable person would do, or an act which a prudent and reasonable person would not do. Negligence as a legal concept contains four elements: ‘duty of care’, ‘breach of duty’, ‘cause’ and ‘harm’. ‘Duty of Care’ of employees (especially in high risk circumstances) has footing in both common law and statutory law.
One of the essential factors in assessing Duty of Care is foresee-ability, which is particularly relevant considering a high-risk environment. The level of risk a work environment contains is linked to the possibility of harm, such as injury or death. Hence, an employer has the duty of taking all necessary measures to prevent any likely harm. Any omission to perform this duty, would mean a non-fulfilment of duty of care. The above, is of course, subject to restrictions by contract, or the law of the land.
One may consider the Directive adopted by the European Union, another example of a comprehensive set of directions clearly demarcating the duties of an employer:
Within the context of his/her responsibilities, the employer shall take the measures necessary for the safety and health protection of workers, including prevention of occupational risks and provision of information and training, as well as provision of the necessary organization and means.
Risk reduction is on the lips of everyone in the humanitarian world. While organizations in general are improving in security management, training of staff is still under prioritized as the organizations consider that they cannot afford to train all their staff. A recent study by EISF showed that more than 70% valued security training highly, but 44% admitted that their organisation did not have enough resources for security training.
Prosectra eLearning addresses all common risks in high risk environments; from abductions to emergency first aid; and the risks commonly associated with living and travelling abroad. Hence, the provision of Prosectra eLearning to staff deployed internationally goes a long way to fulfil the information and training component referred to above.
Prosectra stands for Professional Security Training which is offered to all clients in line with their specific needs, especially through eLearning. The most common reason to utilize eLearning is the extreme cost effectiveness. There are no travel and accommodation costs, and no time away from the office. However, although cost is often the main reason, there are other good reasons why eLearning is a natural choice for many:
- The users learn at their own pace. No one is forced to learn at a certain date and time. They simply learn when they feel most ready for it.
- The learning is served in small portions. A person’s concentration span is limited, and eLearning allows the learner to remain focused the entire time.
- Provides unlimited revision opportunities. Many will feel shy about raising their hand in workshops, as this will demonstrate to others that there is something they have not understood.
- Provides global perspective. eLearning saves travel, paper, and exposure to threats.
- Reinforces employers’ Duty of Care. By providing employees a range of security and safety courses and modules, the employers reinforce their commitment to their employees.